03 April 2008

Bobby

I wish that I could meet or just talk to someone who was still interested in politics.

And I don't mean the shite they call politics today. A waste of time, a colossal waste of money, and essentially a waste of thought. I'll ask again, who really wants to be president for the next four years? Do the current candidates know what they face? Do they care? It's become a ridiculous farce of democracy and has degenerated into a popularity contest.

Did the Baby Boomers turn politics into high school? Maybe. It's all been downhill since Nixon. How did that man get elected? I don't know, and I'm not sure I could find someone who could tell me. Even the poli-sci professors seem confused on this point. Perhaps I could find a class that would explain what happened to politics, but I don't know if I have the stomach to really learn.

All I know is that I haven't been moved much by politics since, well, since ever. I was so interested in voting when I was underaged, but when I couldn't vote in 1992, those damned two months shy of my eighteenth, I stopped caring. Well, until Dumbass ran, but if anything it proved that votes don't actually count.

And what happened to the movements? What happened to civil rights? What happened to Americans caring more about Americans than about cash, cheap tabloid fame, or incentive checks? Yeah, I dream rose-colored dreams, but I know more than I care to. I see the inequality. I see the dearth of interest in bettering the people that surround us. I see the laziness, the apathy, the inconsiderate and prejudice biases.

Amazingly I still think politics could change that. That there is a way to have a government that actually is of and for the people. Who are those people? Admittedly a lot that I don't care to know. Perhaps it is a government of the people and I'm such a stranger in my own land that I would willing leave it. But it is all I know, and somewhere I am a patriot. Somewhere I think that it's worth saving. But as Eddie Izzard so perfectly pointed out, America is the modern Rome. And we can all see where that ended up. People on scooters.

I just wish I could talk to someone, seriously, about politics. Not about young black dude versus strident white woman versus old conservative veteran. None of them actually do much for me. I hate their petty arguments, their smiling back-stabbing, their pointless plans for war. I can't believe they are all so oblivious about the immigration issues (idiots). I want Chris Rock. I want Kevin Kline. I want this person who still remembers what real life is like. Someone who wipes their own ass. The first candidate who can look me straight in the eye and discuss two-ply against lotion-infused is probably gonna get my vote.


On a different note: did anyone know that Emelio Estavez wrote and directed "Bobby"? Wha?? I missed that issue of People magazine. Good on ya, Em.

1 comment:

oh! La Vieja said...

two ply versus lotion-infused? You haven't lost it, girl!!